Thursday, November 17, 2011

Starting to sound like Andy Rooney

It seems like lately all I hear on the news, in the newspaper, online, on Facebook, Twitter, even from people on the street, is sensationalized, overzealous hype.  And I'm really tiring of it!  When did we decide that the squeaky wheel really should be oiled first?  Shouldn't we instead be listening to the quiet, smooth running wheel and find out what makes it work so well, thereby learning from it how best to handle the entire vehicle and only oiling the squeaky wheel if it's sound to begin with?!! 

I could truly care less if Kim Kardashian is getting a divorce after 72 hours of marriage.  I've never watched her show or any show featuring any member of her family.  In fact, the only member of her family I know anything about is Bruce Jenner and that dates back to his Olympic days.  Because that's when he did something worthy of knowing about.  Yet, for some reason, I DO know about Kim's fast divorce and I also know that one of her sisters has a large backside.  Why must I know this?  Seriously.

 I want to enjoy watching the news before starting the day and sometimes, right before bed at night.  But, trying to find a station that runs any stories that are worthy of that precious time are kind of hard to find these days.  So, I more often than not simply listen for the weather report and then go sit at the computer.

Once I hit the computer, I read personal emails from close friends and family.  These are almost always nice, quiet, reserved, and based in reality as it relates to us.  It's refreshing honesty.  I do not open Spams.  I pay my bills through email as well. 

Then, I check Facebook.  This is an interesting maze of characters, many of whom I haven't actually carried on a conversation with for 20+ years.  But, I do actually really enjoy seeing what people have done with their lives, their families, their interests, occupations, how we all look, etc...And it's fun to catch up with those who I was once close with, but haven't kept up with through the years.  Then there are those who I talk to quite a bit anyway (in reality) and we sort of ignore eachother on Facebook because we don't need it.  There are family members who post wonderful pics of kiddos throughout the years.  Those are fun too!  However, I also have the unfortunate quandry (as do all Facebook users) of being Facebook friends with people who actually offend me for one reason or another (and I'm not at all a prude).  Now, this is not to say I don't like them as people.  I actually do.  And I am one of those people who enjoys a good old fashioned roundtable to discuss topics that are controversial or even just interesting in our opposing ideas.  I believe all points of view are worthy of hearing and discussing rationally.  BUT, there are people who simply exhaust me with their need to throw out offensive statements just to be inflammatory.  And the frustrating thing is we cannot actually discuss it because through the written word, my tone cannot be heard, my eyes cannot be seen, and therefore anything I might disagree with will not be considered respectfully or in the vain it is offered.  So, silence once again becomes golden.  Inflammation of any subject has become the norm in our society perhaps.  But, I don't believe that regular everyday people like me really want it that way.

I have several shows on the television that I enjoy.  They're what I refer to as "my shows".  I've found that I can no longer stand to watch them at the time they're on because of the commercials for the shows I choose NOT to watch.  Regular commercials are bad enough, but reality television has ruined what was a time of losing myself in a good story and forgetting the worries of the day.  It's actually stressful to see these commercials about housewives who are the wealthy elite trying to literally fist fight with eachother, calling eachother names that I don't think I've ever said to another person (even when I was a teenager and totally obnoxious). My rashionale is "if it's too bad a word to utter on the tv screen (and must be bleeped out because even the people who write, produce, and pay for this trash don't think it's presentable), then it's probably not worthy of my time".  I can't stand the Intervention commercials because I feel oppressed by these people's lives who may or may not ever overcome their addictions.  Their families are at a loss as to how to live with them.  You are watching people whose lives are falling apart.  And don't get me started on the Hoarders Commercials:  that stresses me out and saddens me on a level I can't even put into words.  These are people who have depression and serious illnesses being displayed for us so that we might feel superior.  It's disgusting.  So, I've been forced to DVR all "my shows" and watch them a day late.  It works out just fine because I can forward through every commercial and save time (approximately 12 minutes on a half hour show, 23 minutes on an hour show).  But, it makes me wonder if I'm adding to the problem by allowing my experience to be one of hurriedness rather than relaxing and enjoying myself.  Hmmmm...

I've seen society become more and more like the media we surround ourselves with over the past several years.  And it scares and burdens me.  I want my grandkids to know the value of dinner time conversation: relaxed, enjoyed, and desired.  I want my children to know their neighbors and sit out on their porches, BBQ and share, speak kindly to others and expect others to speak in kind to them.  I want my son to know that when he is choosing a girlfriend, he should do so with the expectation of treating her with respect: the way he'd want a guy to treat his Mom and sisters.  I want my daughters to know that they do not have to be outwardly perfect and that it's attractive to be smart, funny, and to know how do things that are considered manly, but also ok to be girly.  I want them to know that they should choose men who think they are a prize worthy of respecting and fighting 1,000 armies just to have an evening to talk to them and get to know who they are.  I want our family to see people as they "might" be, rather than who they appear on the outside to be.  When we see someone who looks like they might be sketchy, I want the first thought in our minds to be "I wonder if that person needs help and how I might help them"?  This is a huge contradiction to the media norm which judges too fast, doesn't take time to get all the facts before throwing around conjectured statements and making them sound as if they're true.  We've ruined people's lives allowing this and it's simply not ok.

I could go on forever.  I am purposely not discussing politics and politicians because the corruption and hype is frankly just too obvious to comment on.  My point is this:  Let's change the way we view media.  Let's try to build one another up at every possible juncture.  Let's teach the networks, the news media, the people who don't know how to relax and enjoy a good day; that it's really ok to have a Beaver Cleaver moment once in a while.  Things can be good and that's newsworthy!  People can choose to NOT say cruelties, thereby appearing both intelligent and wise.  It will take a ground floor effort to see anything change.  I'm not advocating for "no cussing, only family shows" or even saying that we can't have some reality television and news reporting of dire, sad, but true events, confirmed and up to date.  I just don't think that we need to know every little scrutinized moment of ongoing investigations, who's cheating on their wife/husband now or twenty years ago, or that one of the Krdashian sisters has a big butt.  It's time to Occupy a tea party rally, hold up our signs, grab a soapbox, whatever works for you: and change this trend.  Come on peeps.  I know someone agrees with me...hmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment