Friday, June 15, 2012

Eat your heart out, Hallmark...My Dad deserves the BEST!


My Dad


My Dad is the best man that I’ve ever known
He’s tough and reliable, truly farm-grown
I watched him very closely as I grew up in his house
And here are just a few things I witnessed with his spouse…

Dad loved my Mom with admiration and true honor.
He loved her strong quiet; add flirtation, he was a goner!
When home from work, he’d say hello with a wet kitchen kiss
Noel and I thought it gross, but secretly, it seemed their bliss!
Dad always supported my Mom; through every trial he was bold!
And when her sorrow was private, his arms were there to enfold.
Their love was and is a picture of God’s love for His kids
Now here’s a tiny little picture of a great father and what he did…

I was the first baby and my Dad’s little joy
He played with me often, never once sad I wasn’t a boy
I think he saw early that I was slightly strong-willed
And perhaps that worried him, but he remained cool and chilled
Then a baby boy was born to Mom, Dad, (and me)
After he passed the test with me, I allowed Mom and Dad their glee.
Dad taught me honesty, grace, laughter, work and play
To throw, hit, catch, field, pitch, and swim on a nice summer’s day
He taught Noel how to build, measure, keep cool and be calm
We both benefitted from Dad’s knowledge of music and the lawn!

I think no other Dad on the face of all the earth
Has ever cared for his family better or been able to see their worth
So Dad, on this day when we honor you for that wonderful love
We say thanks to Grandma and Grandpa and God up above
For giving us you, a blessing beyond this day
And to you, we give a shout of cheer and say “Hip hip-hooray”!

No comments:

Post a Comment