Sunday, January 3, 2016

A New Way of Life (Again)

I have a confession to make: I am a TV, Media, and Computer junkie. I spend countless hours every single day watching the news, reading Facebook posts, and watching reruns of Law & Order, King of Queens, and Everybody Loves Raymond. On the surface this is not so terrible a thing. I'm not ashamed, just simply wanting more.
I wonder what would happen if, for one month, instead of watching tv or computer/phone, what if instead, I took that amount of time to simply be with God. What if I read my Bible and expected that God would speak truth in ways I've not considered before. What if as I skipped that time where I decompress into nothingness in front of the tv, instead I found a quiet place to get onto my knees and pray for the things that God would lead me to pray for. So instead of praying that God would keep America safe from terrorists, perhaps my prayer might look more like "God, send them here! How else will they know You if we never tell them? How else will we reverse this plague of violence and hatred felt by all of us if we don't learn to love like You love?" And what might happen if, instead of allowing the comments and opinions of others (which, let's face it...no matter your political or religious affiliation, sometimes you are just really, really angry and/or hurt by something you read), I sat quietly and just asked God to speak to me. To guide me and teach me how to be the woman He created me to be.
If you're still reading this post, then I have to assume you're interested in something of what I'm saying here. So, if indeed that's you, I challenge you to join me in finding a newfound peace in spending time that matters with God. He rejoices over us when we fully engage with Him and desire His will, His ways, His word.
My hope is that after this month is over, I won't want to become complacent again and will continue on to seek Him instead of mindless, useless drivel. (Ok, a little tv time won't kill me. I'm certain I'll watch something, but less time given to that can only be positive.)
"For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him..."
May you find yourself strengthened as you commit your life to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment